Saturday, October 26, 2013
2nd time this season on “The World Famous Simi Ride”. Faster than two weeks ago, for sure. No worries on the 1st half, but I did a lot of chasing on the 2nd half of Mulholland and that’s a painful place to be. I always get a better workout than I realize on that ride. Nothing else for today except a walk to the supermarket.
I did get some work done on the bike this afternoon – new tires, new chain, new cassette, fresh grease on the crank. Should be a good ride tomorrow. The new cassette is 11-25, replacing the 12-26 I’ve been running. I have a compact crank so the 11 will help even the playing field a little on the long easy donwhills, like Sepulveda and Santa Susana and I don’t think I’m going to miss the 26 at this point especially if I keep working on the Armando style out of the saddle climbing.
Here’s what I ate today:
- Oatmeal with molasses & agave nectar, blueberries, pecans, flaxseed and hemp hearts
- Post Ride: Green smoothie with Spinach, Kale, melon and hemp protein powder
- Cilantro Lime Quinoa with Pinto Beans and Corn Tortillas
- Appetizer: Crudites and Hummus.
- Eggplant Escalopes with Tomato and Black Olive Sauce
- Sunflower seed & honey bread
- Green salad with Balsamic and Oil dressing
- Glass of Cabernet
- Banana with Pecans, Agave and cinnamon
The post ride lunch of Quinoa and beans was incredibly satisfying and the Eggplant tonight was freakin’ amazing. If you would have asked me a couple of months ago, I would have told you I don’t even like eggplant, but I have a couple of killer recipes now. This one is from The Gourmet Vegan aka The Vegan Household which is at first a visual feast and also a fairly large collection of vegan masterpieces. Most of the recipes are somewhat complex and it’s a UK site, so you have to some conversions of grams to ounces or tablespoons and Celsius to Fahrenheit, but if you are looking for something a little extra – for the weekend, for a special occasion or just because you are in the mood to put in a little extra effort for a big payoff, I think any recipe on the site will impress.