Wednesday, September 25, 2013
After the 2 flats yesterday, I grabbed the single speed this morning. It’s got good tires and the seat bag was well stocked. The 2nd ever “Rico Lunch Ride” occurred today as an easy cruise around the dam with Kevin. Windy conditions but a beautiful fall day in L.A.
I’ve been riding at lunch at least twice a week for more than two years, but have been trying to entice some others to come along and get a real lunch hour group ride going. Kevin is a saxophonist and triathlete who has brought the bike for the loop twice now. Kudos for being the first on board. Would you believe another flat on the way home? It’s the season for really hard, small thorns that soften your tire over a couple of miles in a really irritating way and are almost impossible to find while standing at the side of the road. After fixing the flat, I followed a moderately slow commuter for a couple more miles, so it turned out to be a pretty low heart rate day all day, but I’m sure I don’t get enough of those.
I’m feeling good in the middle of week three. I like what I see in the mirror and on the scale. My energy is good. The pull ups are getting ever so slightly easier. I’m thinking of taking the single speed up La Tuna Canyon tomorrow to see what that feels like.
Here’s what I ate today:
- Oatmeal with molasses & agave nectar, blueberries, pecans, flaxseed and hemp hearts
- Green smoothie: Spinach, kale, strawberries & blackberries
- Banana before the lunch ride
- What was left of the Cilantro Lime Quinoa salad, a little slice of leftover stacked enchiladas ½ orange bell pepper, Greek yogurt with agave and hemp hearts, apple
- Appetizer: Cottage cheese w/ melon
- Grilled Portobello burger w/ spinach, tomato, onion & jalapeno
- Baked fries
- Green salad with cherry tomatoes, hemp hearts, hemp oil and balsamic vinaigrette
- Glass of cabernet